Elmhurst, a neighborhood in the borough of Queens in New York City, is one of the most ethnically diverse communities in the city. It is home to a large immigrant population, as well as a significant number of native-born residents. The community is well-known for its array of ethnic restaurants and businesses, as well as its vibrant nightlife. Elmhurst is also home to a number of parks and other recreational facilities.
The area was originally settled by the Dutch in the 17th century, and the name Elmhurst is derived from the Dutch word for “elm wood.” The neighborhood is situated on the border of Queens and Brooklyn, and is home to a large number of immigrants from Southeast Asia and Latin America. Elmhurst is also home to a number of schools and colleges, as well as the Queens Zoo.
Elmhurst is a neighborhood in the borough of Queens in New York City. It is bordered by Jackson Heights to the north, Woodside to the west, Flushing to the south, and Corona to the east. Elmhurst is home to a large and diverse population, with residents from a variety of backgrounds and cultures. The area now known as Elmhurst was originally settled by the Dutch in the early 1600s. The Dutch were soon followed by the English, who established the town of Newtown in 1642. Newtown was later renamed Elmhurst in 1916.
The cost of living in Elmhurst, Queens, New York, is quite affordable in comparison to other major metropolitan areas in the United States. According to the 2018 Cost of Living Index, Elmhurst’s cost of living is nearly 10% lower than New York City’s as a whole.
Elmhurst is a great place to live for those who want to experience all that New York City has to offer without breaking the bank. The borough of Queens is home to some of the best food in the city, as well as a diverse array of cultural attractions. Elmhurst is also conveniently located just a short train ride away from Manhattan.
Rents are relatively reasonable, and there are a number of grocery stores and other amenities nearby. However, residents should be aware that the cost of living can vary depending on the neighborhood in Elmhurst. For example, neighborhoods closer to Manhattan may be more expensive than those further away.
According to the NYPD, the crime rate in Elmhurst, Queens, New York, is relatively low. In 2018, there were a total of 1,642 reported crimes in Elmhurst, which is a crime rate of approximately 3.4 crimes per 1,000 residents. The majority of crimes in Elmhurst are property crimes, such as larceny-theft and burglary, which account for approximately 70% of all reported crimes. violent crimes, such as assault and robbery, account for the remaining 30% of reported crimes.
The crime rate in Elmhurst, Queens, New York, is relatively low compared to other areas of the city. However, there have been a few notable crimes in recent years, including a string of robberies in 2016. The Elmhurst community has remained tight-knit in the face of these crimes, and has worked together to help keep the neighborhood safe.